Church Restoration Update
The exterior of our church and the parish house roof have been restored. There has not been any maintenance done since Fr. Duffy’s time which was the early 1970’s. As a result of this, many challenges were presented during the course of the restoration process. Some of these challenges are itemised below :-
· Very thick moss on the church roof and parish house roof resulting in extended periods of washing down by spraying upwards and then downwards prior to poisoning the moss on both church and parish house roof and the bell tower. This prolonged process caused blocked gutters and drains and storm water backup and leakages in the sacristy and the narthex . All these problems had to be addressed.
· Due to the above problems, extended use of the boom lift was required. Maneuvering the boom lift is a delicate and time consuming operation which proved costly with unavoidable delays due to extreme weather conditions, 2 funerals, school children returning and replacement of the guttering and rotted timber.
· Mortar on exterior of church walls was in a bad way. This could have been left unattended but the job would have suffered from poor street appeal.
· Replacement of guttering and rotted timber on western side of church and replacement of front door facing the north
· Roof capping on the church was unbudgeted expenditure. All moulded areas were crumbling and needed replacing as this area is exposed to extreme weather conditions and the lead should not be left unprotected. It has now had 3 coats of paint.
To avoid these problems reoccurring, Allan recommends that we look at this essential maintenance in another 7 – 10 years time.
Allan Collier has been very professional to work with and has kept Mons Peter and Brenda Pye in the loop every step of the way. It has been a long and arduous project with lots of problems encountered, hence the budget blowout.
The Finance Committee are happy to pay the final account, and hope we have the blessing of you, our cherished parishioners.
For any further clarification, feel free to contact the Parish Finance Committee Chairperson the Parish Office.
The Finance Team